Pages

Sunday 31 March 2019

Maths in Action

Community Maths Approach

Based on DMIC, I have mixed ability groups . I established 4 talanoa groups  - I used talanoa because it's a Pasifika word for talking/conversation/meeting to discuss . I spread the students so there are expert and different levels of ability in each talanoa group. 

The Maths Process

  1. Unpack of the Learn, indicators, Assessment/Reflection
  2. Basic fact drill - use of material and online tools
  3. Problem  unpacked together, finding key information. What is the problem asking for.
  4. Individual time on the problem, then sharing, discussing and supporting.
  5. Reflection  - Questioning.

My focus is to teach my students these steps. It was not easy. The capable learners were keen to help but they were not helping as they tend to tell the others what to do. The less capable ones were apprehended to seek help and tend to rely on the expert. However, we keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment