Pages

Friday 24 May 2019

Dialogic Teaching and testing

Term 2

Week 1 to 4 of term 2 was spend on PROBE AND GloSS test.
The PROBE has provided myself with greater understanding of how my students engage with text. It was a good opportunity to see the reading behaviour and how students try to making meaning out of the text. 
It has given me a great insight on how to plan my talanoa/dialogic teaching to cater for their learning needs.

During the GloSS assessment (Global Strategy Stage) in maths, I see the frustration of my learners in trying to understand the question and to transfer it to a mathematical thinking to solve the problem. 
This has given me a great opportunity to focus on developing talanoa or talk on how to unpack the text we read. 

Again I asked myself 

Will dialogic teaching improve the quality of classroom talk/talanoa as a means of increasing students’ engagement, learning and achievement is reading, writing and maths?


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Ana

    Your blog is clearly presented and your posts are easy to find.

    I am looking forward to reading your evaluation report and seeing if there were shifts in student achievement over the year. The slides from our final COL session will guide you with the type of information and data to include.

    Ngā mihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana,
    At Sommerville we have found the same situation as you, that the children need to completely unpack a question and the language used in it before trying to apply mathematical thinking. The understanding of language is everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete